Kappa Sigma Statement on COVID-19
Originally posted on KappaSigma.org (https://kappasigma.org/kappa-sigma-statement-on-covid-19/)
As of 9:30 AM EST March 17, 2020
Kappa Sigma Fraternity leadership has been closely monitoring the rapidly changing situation with coronavirus (COVID-19) in an effort to identify ways in which it may affect our members.
Infections with COVID-19 are being reported in a growing number of countries internationally, including the United States and Canada. We want to remind our members of ways they can decrease the likelihood of contracting the virus. We know many of you may be traveling for Spring Break or living in close quarters with larger groups of your peers, and we want to encourage you to continue to be safe and aware of any risks.
• The chapter and its members should continue to follow the Kappa Sigma Code of Conduct, which includes a prohibition of common sources of alcohol, etc.
• We encourage increased handwashing and the availability of anti-bacterial wipes and gels in environments with high volumes of people.
• We ask that you follow your state, province, or host university rules regarding COVID-19 closures and group gatherings. Please hold off on signing formal/event contracts since this is a fluid situation. Many vendors are allowing event flexibility.
• Any member who is sick is advised to NOT attend any chapter events, including chapter meetings. This is in line with CDC recommendations. Chapters are encouraged to be lenient with excused absences due to illness.
• If your college or university is sending students home or suspending in-person classes, please send the closure notice to Leo Brown (Leo@hq.kappasigma.org) so we can work together to plan an initiation date in the future and address any disruption in chapter operations.
Learn more about coronavirus on the CDC website, and find the latest information issued by the CDC for travelers:
Supreme Executive Committee